Screen Time

I recently updated the iOS for my iPhone and it includes this handy little app in settings called "Screen Time".  I have heard about this setting for several months whenever I read articles about the update to the iOS.  It is being touted by Apple as its response to excessive screen time and enabling users to take more control of their phones instead of the phones controlling them.  I will admit I had mixed feelings about a setting/app that actually measures my phone use and screen time.  I know I use my phone often and at times it does consume my attention and time, but I wasn't really sure if I wanted to see the hard facts and data of this part of my life.

During the first few days I was obsessed with checking this setting and seeing how much time I spent on my phone.  I am not going to lie, the data was shocking.  And initially I let the data collect.  I did not change my phone use or habits because I wanted a true measure of what my phone use was.

I captured some screen shots of my screen time to show the various features and my data.  Yes, I am laying my screen time data for the world to see!

7 Day view of overall screen time.  There is even a statistic showing an increase or decrease of usage.

This first screen shot shows the 7 day average and total usage.  Yes, you read that right - I averaged 4 1/2 hours of screen time per day, and a total of 31 1/2 hours over the past 7 days.  Typically, I am awake from 5:00 am until 10:00 pm most week days - 17 hours a day.  This means I am using my phone 26% of my day....an amount I feel is substantial, but maybe not so high compared to other users. (but I am probably just rationalizing my usage!) The Weekly Total statistic is staggering to me.  31 HOURS and 28 MINUTES that I am looking at my phone.  That is more than one whole day - good grief!
Categories of Usage - you can look at each category to see what apps are included

The 7 day summary also allows you to view by app or category.  Not surprising that social networking is my most used category.  I did discover that Messages is included in the social networking and I am not certain I agree with that categorization.  I use Messages throughout the day at my job and I consider this more productivity than social networking.  I consider that statistic to be skewed.

This shows average number of pickups and
notifications per day over 7 days




Scrolling down on this same 7 day summary screen allows you to view pick ups and notifications.  These two are closely aligned since I probably pick up my phone every time I get a notification.  I turned off most of my app notifications over a year ago.  I allow notifications for messages, phone calls, emails, calendar and a few other apps.  I do not get notification for any social media.  I am still shocked at the number of notifications I get in a week.  You are able to go into each app from this Notification screen and adjust the types of notifications you receive.

Downtime allows you to limit your phone usage during certain periods of the day

In the top level of the Screen Time setting you can set such preferences as Downtime, App Limits, Always Allowed, and Content and Privacy Restrictions.  I have only used the Downtime preference and set my "downtime" to 9pm-7:00am.  I chose this time to limit my phone usage before bed and first thing in the morning.  Now, don't panic, the preference is easy to override - you can ignore the setting for 15 minutes or the entire day.  So you still must have some will power and self-control during the downtime period.  In my personal experience, using this preference did improve my ability to wind down before bed time.  This setting has also limited my early morning social media binging.  Instead I have used that time for reading or loom knitting.  I am still able to send text messages, so there are times when my screen time is still elevated if I am texting with someone late night or early morning.

I have not ventured into App Limits because I am honest with myself - I don't really want to limit my time, just want to be more aware.  I also have not explored the Content and Privacy Restrictions.  The Content Restriction setting allows more control and can be especially useful if you share an Apple ID with a child or have family sharing.

Initially the Screen Time data was shocking to me and I made a conscious effort to reduce it.  Eventually that panic faded and I do not review my Screen Time data nearly as often.  I do still use the Downtime setting and do find that useful.  I am more aware of my screen time and try to take conscious steps to reduce when I can.  It is also fun to ask others about their data and to compare usage.  Many people experience the same shock when they see those numbers for the first time.

In this time of hyper-connectivity, it takes a true conscious effort to reduce screen time and limit phone usage.  You have to be willing to disconnect and NOT pick up your phone every time it notifies you.  We have been conditioned as a society to instant feedback and it is almost considered anti-social if you do not respond in a timely manner.  I am slowly realizing the power of disconnecting and not letting my phone control my day.




Comments